Health food: the star of the processing industry in Quebec City's metropolitan region
||CDN millions in sales
Data compiled for the Quebec City metropolitan region
Many of the region's industry players are part of the Québec Health Food Cluster.
These entrepreneurs are committed to developing and marketing value-added products, giving people healthier food options.
This helps its members share contact networks, cutting-edge technologies and applied knowledge, which allows new health foods to be developed and contributes to the growth of the region's industries.
Home-grown healthy innovations
- Nutritious and organic cookies and bars
- Organic beverages
- Natural and organic meats
- Fair-trade, organic anf functional chocolate
- Fruit and vegetable extracts
- High-protein content foods
- Light and speciality cheeses
- Organic oils and condiments
- Allergen-free prepared meals and desserts
- Organic honey and maple products
- Veggie chips and mixed nuts
- Fortified with whole grains, low-fat and low-salted and gluten-free breads
- Berry-based products
- Gluten-free game-based products
- Trans-fat-free pastry products
- Low-sodium smoked salmon
- Hormonde-free game meats
Along with its passion for food, the Québec City region stands out in the nutraceuticals and nutritional health products sector.
Innovative Leaders and SME's
- Biscuits Leclerc - health foods with no trans fats
- Fromagerie Bergeron - fine cheese
- Fumoir Grizzly - smoked fish
- Maison Bergevin - sweetened dried fruits, pure, powdered and concentrated juices
- Maison Orphée - oils, mustards and vinegars
- Nutra Canada - dried fruit and vegetable extracts
- Soylutions - beverages derived from soy or basmati rice
- Viande du Breton - organic pork products
A unique Canadian research centre, the Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods (INAF) is located in the heart of Quebec City's metropolitan region. Biochemists, nutritional engineers, nutritionists, doctors and pharmacologists conduct research in food and nutrition as well as in disease prevention and the effects of aging. This state-of-the-art research centre brings companies to the forefront of new markets and consumer trends by developing new health foods suitable for both gourmets and global consumers.
Québec City is no. 1 in Canada and the United States in startup and operation costs
Startup and operating costs for agrifood processing businesses are 9.3% lower in Québec City than they are in most cities in the United States.
The Québec City metropolitan region has a lot to offer. To find out more, read our brochure Invest in the Quebec City metropolitan region or the Choose Québec section to learn more.